Sunday, August 12, 2012

Gaddy Up...

Yesterday was a day that we've been trying to plan for 2 years....
Ok..here is the connection...ready??....The parents of a pharmacist Eric worked with in Illinois help run the stables at USAFA. Their daughter who lives here,  is a speech therapist and from that...they have used some of the horses for a bit of "equine therapy!" The stories that they told us are unbelievable...and one of them includes witnessing a young girl's first words!! (it was "dog" by the way)...
Anyways...I wasn't sure how the kids would react...I mean...they get scared of dogs....and yes, I know...horses are WAY different than dogs...but, still...wasn't sure. We scripted the situation and reminded them to just stay calm(?!) and have fun!
And...if it didn't go well..atleast Samantha looked the part! :)

 I took these as we were walking up...that's TJ looking at Sam...

The first thing they had them do was brush Rebel...he's 25 years old...doesn't move very fast...


 they loved it.
 especially her...
Sam wanted to go see the other horses too...So, Beth took her over there...I was stuck in the middle because at the same time..Josh was going over to ride Rebel!! 


See...I turned around and was like..Wait!!! :-)

 Josh did really well...

 Um...I think Eric was a little excited too.. :)-

 towards the end of Josh's 1st ride he leaned forward alot...I believe he was trying to balance and felt a little unsteady...
Then...it was Sam's turn...





 Doesn't she look like a natural???  And her smile was great!


 She really didn't want to get off...She kept saying "Gaddy UP! Gaddy UP!" I had to tell Beth that she was really trying to say.. Giddy UP.... :)
Since Josh was not as sure about it all as Sam was...they let him lead the horse! HA! It was PERFECT!



More of Sam...

 Seriously...she was so calm..


then..well, she had to get off so Josh could have another turn....
 attitude much?!?! heehee
I didn't get any other pictures of Josh on Rebel, but I did get video from Eric's phone...So..that will be at the end...after they both had 2 turns they helped feed some of the horses. Beth brought out some carrots too...Josh tried, but when he saw the slobber that would be left on your hand...he didn't so much care for that!  You can tell from the pictures what Sam did...she took right to it...





 Overall...it was an awesome experience. I learned that there are about 200 horses at the stables! The cadets have an equestrian team and a rodeo team. Plus, the hundreds of people who pay to board their horse here make up that 200 number....I had no clue there were so many! After Rebel and TJ were put back in their stalls we went over and saw the miniature horses and met the stable mascot....Boris, the donkey! :)  From what I could gather and observe from all the people coming and going....it may not be the "prettiest" facility, but these horses are LOVED and taken care of very well! Here are the videos that I could get...if you think you hear some clicking from a camera...well, you are..I was recording and taking pictures at the same time..I know...kind of ridiculous..

the videos are small..I know...I'm trying to figure out how to make them bigger...but, in the meantime...enjoy!
this first video you will hear some conversation about poop...Sam was concerned about horse poop...

This was the 2nd ride for Josh and the song he is singing is "Horses make me Happy, Horses make me happy.." It's just a little ditty that he made up....










3 comments:

  1. Almost makes me want to ride a horse too. :) thanks for posting. Looks like a great time for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute cute cute!!! can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Oh my, wish we could have been there! I remember taking Eric a few times.

    ReplyDelete