Friday, July 23, 2010

Arrival at Osan

So, my first attempt at a blog- probably just be periodic updates on life here in at Osan. Wow, what a week it’s been. Left Colorado Monday, drove to the airport at 1200pm with Laura, Josh and Sam, parked in parking lot. Very difficult to say goodbye, not knowing exactly when I'll see them next. Cried, laughed, cried, and then said goodbye. Commercial flight (United) left Colorado Springs at 2:00pm. Flew to Denver, then on to Seattle. Had long, 7 hour or so layover in Seattle. Sat at gate trying to get Google chat to work with Laura- had some technical difficulties at first with the volume. Then boarded contracted "rotator" Boeing 757 flight called "Patriot Express" loaded with active duty military (and a few families) going to Japan/Korea as well as families traveling/vacationing by space-available travel. Departed Seattle-Tacoma around 2am early Tuesday morning, flew first to Anchorage, re-fueled, got out to stretch legs. Then flew 7 or so hours to Yokota AB, Japan. A few people got off there. Then on to Osan AB, South Korea. (The last leg flew to Kunsan AB, South Korea) I arrived in Osan at 1100am Wednesday morning. Total travel time = 32hours. I didn't sleep well Sunday night, was awake all but a short nap from Colorado Springs to Denver on Monday, so I was pretty tired when I boarded the flight from Seattle Tuesday morning at 200am. I managed to sleep through all of Tuesday so I was well rested when we landed at 1100am on Wednesday morning. Got settled in to hotel, went for a jog around base with map in hand. Talked with Laura on Google chat/Skype- I think we had the volume issues fixed.That night met up with my sponsor, an outgoing ER physician who I am replacing, and the head of the ER, for dinner at an on-base stake house. Thursday had base inprocessing appointments and breifings. Got assigned a dorm room, got my mail box at the post office, inprocessed at the med group/ER, posted some videos for Josh and Sam. That night met the 4 other new doctors- good group, will get along well. Ate on base at Chilis (ha). Friday another day of inprocessing briefings. I am lucky- my stuff had arrived and was delivered to my dorm room, had my internet set up in the dorm room and got settled in. Went to the commissary to get food for my new dorm. Dorm is fine, 2 rooms, small kitchen which has the basics, living area with desk, bedroom. Everything is very close on base- dorm, hospital, commissary, BX/community center, chapel- all within a 3-4min walk. Fitness center is about 8minute walk. Not too bad, definitely won't need a car or even a bike. Went out with same group off base into the local town- had Mexican (ha). No Korean food yet. First 2 days of weather was great- hot and humid- highs 88-90, humidity 80-90%, heat index 105-110. Monsoon season apparently started yesterday and had 6hrs of torrential rains, local flooding. Korea itself is beautiful, very green, base is surrounded by rolling hills and small mountains. So far so good. People are nice and very helpful. Tough being away from Laura Josh and Sam, but is great seeing them and talking to them on video chat. Doing well, praying a lot, working out a lot, and sleeping well.

10 comments:

  1. I agree...good to hear from you Eric, will be fun to read your posts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, good job Laura too for talking him into it! Makes it easier for all of us to get the scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy7:49 AM

    What a great way to stay connected Eric. We will love to hear what is going on in your world... Hope you are adjusting well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. way to go Eric sounds like s fla weather! can't believe you eat @ Chilis & mexican...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for writing Eric ~ we will all be anxious to hear from you again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you arrived safely. Definitely thinking about you, Laura and the kids a lot. Glad that the year has finally started, and that each day brings you closer to Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure you have started. It was great to read about your travels. We will be praying for you, Laura and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. um...you do one post and get more comments than I ever have...interesting, very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. um...you do one post and get more comments than I ever have...interesting, very interesting...

    ReplyDelete